The Sisterhood of Dirty Yoga Pants...Part 1

Funny stuff, this thing called "motherhood". We can all remember the days when each morning started with a shower...even a workout beforehand, if that was your thing. Coffee was leisurely (if you even needed it) and your day went just about according to plan. We remember those days, but it's like looking through the wrong end of a telescope. They seem very, very far away. We all had this beautifully laid out plan of how we'd mother. Quiet mornings of cuddling, preparing fresh breakfasts, and walks to the park. Educational games and thoughtful conversations sprinkled with "I love you, Mommy" were, honestly, the visions that floated through my head as I gently patted my pregnant belly...before I knew better.

Most mornings now, I microwave old coffee (I know you ain't about to judge, friend) and throw on workout clothes that, most likely, won't see the inside of a gym. My go-to hairstyle is a pony-tail and I think eating cold leftover eggs off my son's plate is a successful morning. I've always considered myself a pretty low-maitenance gal, but these days are looking particularly dark. Mornings are far from quiet and if a walk to the park is in order, we drive. Frantically. I can be heard shrieking, "Leave your shoes on! You'll step in duck poop!" Sweet mother, these are the days of our lives.

And yet, what I love about motherhood (besides the gorgeous faces of my two super spawn) is that it is, without a doubt, the great equalizer. We are all in this wonderful cracker crumb-filled pit together. Every single one of us. Now I will admit, some of you put on a pretty darn good show. You might have the hair just right or that bang'n bod that happened to bounce back after babies (I hate you...what?). Maybe you're able to keep a clean house (send me your Merry Maid info, please) or you cook meals of a farmers market-caliber every night. Maybe you actually sit down and create the educational games on Pinterest that we all pin. Good for you, my fellow soldier, but you cannot fool me. We are in this war together and we all have multiple chinks in our armor. At some point, those weaknesses show and I say this humbly, I freaking love it. I feel like I've won the lottery when I see another mom's facade fall. Welcome to my tribe, girlfriend. You are welcome here. This is reality and I love you most when I get to see YOU...not what you're best at or what you pretend to be. I love seeing real moms slugging through the everyday up's and down's of motherhood. The reality of it is what's most beautiful...in a sort of disgusting, I've-clearly-lowered-my-standards sort of way. This authenticity should be celebrated way more often because it stems from the most delicious love any of us have ever encountered, am I right?

To honor you, dear friends, I've asked for your real stories. I want to share the moments that make us both cringe and say, "Me too" because we could all stand a little more "Me too" from each other. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts