New Year, Introvert Me...

I'll swear off sugar. I'll stop yelling. (It's unbecoming of a self-proclaimed non-yelling mom, you know.) I'll watch less TV. I'll work out more. I'll write a book...maybe cure cancer. This is MY YEAR!

Starting a new year never fails to bring out the fist-pumper in me. The "I'm every woman, it's all in meeeee!" chick roars to life wielding my fresh new planner. Lists are made, goals are put in place, and the alarm is set every morning for a productive 5am. Cute, huh? This lasts approximately two weeks and then reality slaps me in the face with sick kids, sleepless nights, cold weather (I don't do cold), and a steadily growing to-do list in that trusty old planner. I quickly slip back into that familiar state of exhaustion and if I can't do things right with my resolutions, why do them at all? From here on out, it's cake frosting on a spoon and a hope that the kids can entertain themselves as I snooze on the couch. Better luck next year!

Thankfully, this year has started off in a different direction. (I hear you all laughing. I realize my two-week disillusionment period has not yet expired.) A few weeks back, I was happily perusing Facebook (seriously...quit laughing...it's legit) and I stumbled upon an article from the Huffington Post. The title, "10 Ways Introverts Interact Differently with the World" by Alena Hall, immediately caught my attention. I had very recently realized that I was not, in fact, an extrovert as I'd always thought. However, I had no idea how very much an introvert I was until I read this article. Every single point Hall made rang true with the way I operate in relation to life and those around me. Someone got me! And she was explaining me to me!

As I mulled over Ashley the Introvert, I felt an immense sense of relief. All the times I had attacked resolutions that quickly failed were not because I'd grown lazy or bored. (Ok, most of them weren't. I'm not too proud to quit when it's apparent that Jillian Michaels yoga ain't for me. I'm pretty sure shouting in yoga is frowned upon, Jillian.) The commitments I'd made were admirable, but they weren't a good fit for me. Many of the goals I'd made actually clashed with my needs as an introvert. I was essentially setting myself up to burn out rapidly. I mean, if this isn't a light-bulb moment!

I'm approaching this year far differently from those past. Instead of goals and lists and expectations, it's about making sure I tend to my needs each day. I require far more solo-time to reflect and quiet my brain than I originally knew. I've found that running is a perfect way to get that quiet. And hey, if that happens to help me drop a few pounds, it can't hurt! (I'll never fully give up the cake frosting so every little bit helps.) Working out the creative side is vital to introverts. I find myself so energized after writing, but often I replace my pen with the TV. Hunkering down in my comfy chair to bang out some writing fuels me and can cut down on my Netflix time. (Which has been at a shameful high lately.) Knowing when it's OK to say no to the social stuff before I end up melting in a heap of exhaustion will greatly improve the quality of life for those around me. In meeting those needs of Ashley the Introvert, I hope to be more of the real me who can then be the best wife, mom, and friend possible. You can't change what you don't know and now I'm far wiser about who I am and how I want to add to this world around me. May you live this new year fully as YOU and enjoy a new quality of life.



Comments

  1. I feel like a terrible friend that I didn't recognize you as an introvert until just now. Come visit me and I'll leave you to your energizing alone time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts