"Are you OK?"

After one of Barrett's greatest melt-downs in his very short history, I'd love nothing more than to blog my woes about his hatred for Target. (I can't get over it--who HATES TARGET? It's just not right, I tell you.) I will, however, refrain for today and showcase the sweeter side of my offspring. For all those moments that a toddler makes their mama want to roll out of a moving vehicle and into oncoming traffic, it is worth celebrating the times that you can finally see them "getting it".

Recently, Barrett was shipped over to my mom's house to play so that I could escape for a night out with my sister. A night at one of those paint-your-own picture joints always starts out as a great idea. You feel so confident that you'll bring home the next Starry Night and that your husband will BEG you to frame it and display it over the fireplace. About twenty minutes into your first attempt at free-handing a simple coffee cup, you realize there's a reason these places encourage you to bring wine. If nothing else, I see nights like this as excellent opportunities to relax and laugh at myself a little bit...and at my sister a lot. Where was I going with this? Now all I can think about is the monstrosity I painted and then snuck into my mom's house as a joke.

While I was busy getting pitying glances from the owners of the art place, Barrett was playing outside with my mom's neighbors. They have seven kids...with one on the way...an only child's dream! Barrett is not shy and puts himself right in the middle of the chaos when he sees the "Duggars-in-training" zipping around the sidewalks on scooters and bikes. On this particular night, some of the older boys made a game out of falling off their bikes. They proceeded to roll around on the ground in mock-agony. My mom reported later to me that Barrett would run up to each of them, squat down, and say, "You OK?? It's OK!"

While it seems like just a cute story, I was struck by the fact that Barrett is already starting to understand the concept of other people's feelings and needs. I've always stopped what I'm doing and asked him, "Are you OK?, Do you need a hug?" when he hurts himself. (If you know my tiny tornado at all, you know that I ask this plenty. Black eyes, busted lips, sprained legs, and chipped teeth make for LOTS of "Are you OK?" 's. We actually have "Emergency Ice Cream" that we keep solely for any mouth swelling or bleeding. Thank our sweet Lord for good insurance.) I want Barrett to understand that if he's in pain, it makes me sad, and that I want to try to make things better for him. I'm just still surprised at how early such a seemingly minor practice starts to translate in his own tiny world. I've already made enough mistakes as a parent to fill a pretty depressing book that no one would want to read. But seeing my not-quite two year old give pause to the needs of those around him fulfills one of my greatest desires. I pray earnestly that my boy will grow to become a man who has a truly compassionate heart for people.

**Disclaimer: While I'm pleased to be able to share this story, please remember that this is one glimmer of hope in days filled with very toddler-like behavior. Not that I'm keeping score, but yesterday Barrett decked his loyal dog, Tex, in the face. Today instead of thanking his mama for dinner, he pointed his chubby finger at me and yelled "NO!" We've got a ways to go, friends.

Comments

Popular Posts